"> J1 Visa for Trainees - ITEN Travels and Migrations Limited | United States of America


A J1 visa is a temporary exchange visa that entitles professionals to undertake training in their chosen occupation with a sponsoring organization in the US. Applicants must be accepted to participate in an approved training program with a sponsoring organization.

J1 Visa Requirements for Trainees

To qualify for a J1 visa as a trainee, applicants must be accepted to participate in a certified training program in the US. To participate in a training program, applicants must have a post-secondary qualification and at least one year of work experience OR at least five years of work experience in their occupational field. Training programs are available in a range of fields, including the following:

  • Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing;
  • Arts and Culture;
  • Building and Construction;
  • Education, Social Science, Library Science, Counseling and Social Services;
  • Health related occupations;
  • Hospitality and Tourism;
  • Information Media and Communications;
  • Management, Business, Commerce and Finance;
  • Public Administration and Law;
  • Science, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial occupations.

J1 visa applicants may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

J1 Visa Entitlements for Trainees

A J1 visa entitles the holder to participate in a professional training program in the US. A J1 visa for trainees is usually granted for the duration of the approved program (typically up to two years) and extensions are not required for as long as the visa holder continues to participate in the training program.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the US and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.

The US Trainee visa program comprises a range of temporary, non immigrant visas that permit trainees to come to the US to participate in structured training programs with US corporations and organizations in their field of interest or expertise.