"> J-1 VISA FOR TEACHERS - ITEN Travels and Migrations Limited | United States of America


A J1 visa is a temporary exchange visa that allows teachers to teach full-time in accredited primary and secondary schools across the US for up to three (3) years.

J1 Visa Requirements for Teachers

To qualify for a J1 visa as a teacher, the applicant must be a foreign qualified teacher with a minimum of three years teaching experience and meet the teaching standards of the US state in which they will be teaching. Applicants must be sponsored by an approved sponsoring organization and may need to meet additional requirements as determined by their sponsor.

J1 visa applicants must have proficient English language skills and may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

J1 Visa Entitlements for Teachers

A J1 visa for teachers entitles the holder to participate in a Teacher exchange program in the US. A J1 visa for teachers is usually granted for a maximum of six years provided the applicant continues to teach in an accredited primary or secondary school through their program sponsor.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the US and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.